Friday, August 28, 2009

Week 6...Light at the end of the Tunnel?

Things are looking up. It's the middle of week 6 and not only has my skin been better all week than since before I started accutane, but I've stopped focusing on it so much cause really, what's another breakout?

Changes to my Skin
The first few days of my new dosage was rough. My skin broke out about 2 or 3 days into the new dosage, and my left cheek was covered with small pustules. But it only lasted about 2-3 days and is still soft and smooth in the non-broken out places. I'm starting to notice ALOT of hyperpigmentation on my cheeks from all the breakouts over the last few weeks, but instead of being dark spots, they're lighter. Interesting, I've never had that before...pretty easy to cover up with foundation but I wonder what will happen with those spots long term...will they turn darker over time? Will they blend with my natural skin color? I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Side Effects
Depression
After the first 3 days of my new dose, I was really depressed for a day or two. One evening, I literally started crying on the phone to a friend about nothing. I was devestated...about nothing at all. At the time, I felt overwhelmed by all the medications I have to take throughout the day (antibiotic with breakfast, Acc at lunch and dinner, birth control before bed) and frustrated that I was continuing to break out. At the same time, I was fully conscious of the fact that I WASN'T really that upset about those things...it was weird. But I just let it out and rested and haven't felt bad since. It doesn't feel like it will be a regular thing.

Nausea
For the first few days, I was nauseous, like, alot. I dont know if it was the do with the accutane dosage or the antibiotic, but it was annoying. it's stopped.

Dry Lips
Okay...my lips have reached a whole new level of dry and crusty. I have been putting Aquaphor on every 10 minutes. If I don't there will be hell to pay. I haven't had any cracking and bleeding, but the corners of my mouth are just...crusty. Aquaphor is my bff.

Sensitive/Dry Skin
My skin has gotten so sensitive, all over my body. I have random cuts and scrapes on my arms and legs that came from...lawd knows where! It seems that a simple scratch or brush-up against something results in broken skin, and I don't notice until it's a scab. Also, I did that thing to my other ear where I rubbed too hard and caused a rug burn...OUCH. My skin is REALLY sensitive and I probably have to face the fact that there is some level of bruising that I'm going to have to deal with. I'm definitely trying to be careful with myself. My skin is also dry, nothing major but it's acting like it's winter even though its August in Atlanta! I use cream every morning and night, which is usually unheard of at this time of year, but it's making my skin SUPER soft and amazing!

Body Aches
My back is still significantly sore, but now my joints hurt too. Mainly my hips and knees. My posture is awful, you can find my hunched over in the corner looking crazy. It doesn't help that I recently started training for a 5k, so after I run it's particularly bad. Nothing I can't deal with - sometimes I look like an old lady hob-nobbin down the street - but I haven't taken any painkillers.

I would just like to take a moment to big-up the products I have been using, cause I really love them. #1 on my list is Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. I actually got the name brand so I can't speak on the generics. But, I use it at night on my face and all over my body night and day. My skin...is so...soft! It's like chocolate-brown silk. It would normally be way too heavy for the summer, but probably perfect for winter skin. I highly recommend it. Also, Olay Complete Moisturizer with SPF 15 for Sensitive Skin is the truth. I use it during the day and it's not greasy like a lot of other moisturizers with SPF. It's light and creamy and I really like it. I always associated Olay with old ladies and wrinkle remedies, but this one is perfect for me. And clearly, Aquaphor is the best thing since sliced bread. I may just use it forever, albeit less often after this treatment is over.

Here are some photos. The blemishes on my cheeks aren't quite as bad as they look in this photo, the lighting is pretty un-flattering. But everything you see is in its healing phase. The last photo shows the remaining flakiness on my nose.






And these are my dry ass lips after not using Aquaphor for about 30 mins! unbelievable!



UPDATE: I took a few pics midweek cause I started to break out BAD. It wasn't as bad as my WBB phase during the first month, but I definitely had several gross looking pustules.





No comments:

Post a Comment