Wednesday, February 17, 2010

G'bye Accutane!

I'm officially done Accutane! It feels really weird. I'm so used to taking those two little pills everyday with dinner and I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something. But I'm not!

Naturally, my biggest fear is that the bumps will return in the coming weeks or months. But all I can do is cross my fingers and hope for the best! My skin is virtually perfect; I do have some really faint bumps (you cant see them, but I know they're there) along my jawline, but I think they're just leftover scars from before. Also my derm said most people's skin continues to improve in the 6 months after they finish. I'm happy right now because its the week before my period - the moment of truth - and all I have is a tiny little bump under my chin. No breakouts, no huge monster(s) on my cheek! It feels great.

I finished about 5 days ago and my lips are still super dry. My back and legs still feel sore/stiff when I've been sitting down for a long time, but I've stepped up my exercise routine for the last 2 months so its a blurry line.

Oh! i forgot one thing. In the last two months of my treatment, I became very concerned about my hair. I have locs so the idea of my hair thinning or falling out seemed odd...How could even tell if that was happening unless entire locs fell out of my head? Well, I am convinced that my edges have thinned out quite a bit. I've kind of been obsessing over it so it's probably not as bad as I think it is, but it's true. The roots of some of my locs, in the front near my edges, seem thinner (there is one in particular I was so scared would fall out!) but I've also been twisting the front more often after I exercise...so...who knows. Also, my hair has been super dry, but that's pretty normal since it's freezing cold out. The worst part was that my scalp HURT from the dryness. I won't miss that.

So they say it takes 10 days for the medicine to leave your system. I skipped my last derm appt cause i realized...why am i paying this dumbass a $30 co-pay to have you take a pregnancy test and send me on my way? i know im not preggers and since I had no prescription to pick up, I canceled it. Its really over!

So, I plan to stick with my regular routine. Ive actually been using the cetaphil moisturizing cream (as opposed to olay lotion) more during the day cause my skin's been so dry and ashy (but not peeling or scaly or anything...its nice to be able to use cream on my face after all those years of horrible oiliness!). People say some of the oiliness does come back after a few weeks/months, so im thinking once it starts getting warmer I may have to add something to my regimen - witch hazel as an astringent, or something subtle like that.

Looking back at my old pics is surreal...I cant believe how bad it was :( But now I can say...i love my skin! I'll check back for some post-Accutane updates in the coming months :)





No comments:

Post a Comment